Monday 11 November 2013

Funny In 15

I have recently completed a 15 second animated comedy sketch. The brief that was set for this project was to be funny in 15 seconds.

For the project we were assigned people to work with and in groups of three given 5 weeks to come up with an idea and turn it into an animation.

We started off by throwing ideas around toge4ther and once we have decided on a couple of possible routes we went away to refine them before choosing one to put into production. One of our routes was a local news station that reported on minor news stories as if they were life changing, breaking scoops. I wrote the initial script for this idea and after getting a laugh from our course leader we decided to stick with it.

After a couple more drafts I created a rough animatic.


This was just one version of the animatic we worked on 6 or 7 different cuts that changed slightly but the general story remained the same.

For our style we had chosen to go for cut out photographs taking inspiration from the likes of South Park and Monty Pythons Flying Circus:




Once we had decided on style I made another rough animatic with an aim of showing the style rather than purely just story:



We went out and took various photos of Penryn ad Falmouth and began cutting each building and prop out in Photoshop. This proved to be incredibly time consuming especially the trees and bushes that I needed for the garden scene that I was creating. After many, many days I created this:


I was pleased with this as I felt like it matched the Monthy Pyhton style that were using as our main point of reference. The cat character that you see in the bush and also the lady on the sun lounger we3re both rigged to be animated. The cat could open his mouth and move his eyes and then lady was made up of 2 images, one with here legs open and one with them closed.

I rigged the characters in Photoshop. To rig the cat I simply cut out his chin so that it could be pulled up and down. I then cut out his eyes and placed another set of eye balls behind that could be moved from right to left and up and down.

The next scene I made was the news room. Again this was made up of images that we has taken ourselves and a few that we had found of image stock websites. The face is rigged the same way as the cat in the previous scene. In the final shot I would also add a video in the screen in the background.


Once my colleagues had finished the 2 scene that they were working on I dropped all of them into the edit, gave it a final sound mix then exported out our final film. I hope you like it.




No comments:

Post a Comment