Friday 10 October 2014

Run Fatboy Run

Here's a run cycle I created for my jungle rate race scene. This is the first run cycle I've created for a character of this shape and size and I'm pleased with the outcome. It's also I've used one of the rigs from this body mechanics rig pack and I found really good to work with. The controls are nice and simple but as you can see it also has the ability to make the belly wobble which is great and adds to the final look of this run.

Having spent a couple of days over the summer working on walk cycles for Engine House VFX and making a bit of a meal of it (it took much longer than I had hoped), it's my aim this year to get comfortable with creating fun walks in a short space of time. I kept having the issue of sliding feet when I added it to the scene so with this cycle I've made a point of trying to think logically about my keyframes and I've made sure both feet are exactly the same distance a speed apart in there movement. After that worked it was really fun just adding wobbles and head bobs etc

This took me a day and half and I feel that I could easily get that down to a day with a bit more practice, especially now that I have a formula for getting the feet right.



After sleeping on it and coming back with fresh eyes, I decided to make a couple of changes. The arms looked very boxer-ish and a bit rigid so I did a bit of running around the studio to get a bit more of a feel for it and noticed that although my arms were up in that kind of position my hands were really floppy and my shoulders were further down as if I didn't have the strength to hold them up.

So I made a couple of changes to the arms and hands and I opened the grip out to loosen him up more. I think this really worked as this latest animation works much better as a tired run cycle. I also added a bit more of a head bob for good measure.



As ever, if anybody has any thought on this or any more of my work I'd be really eager to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment